Canada's offshore oil and gas industry is among Atlantic Canada's most important economic drivers. Its success is critical to the region's economic recovery - but right now, the industry is in crisis. The combination of COVID-19, the related temporary drop in demand for oil and gas, and the resulting price collapse has deferred projects, delayed exploration programs and reduced government revenues. Thousands of women and men have been been laid off from jobs that are at risk of never returning unless immediate federal action is taken.
Will you take a moment to call the your local Member of Parliament to let them know that you support Canada's offshore oil and gas industry and that it requires immediate federal support? It only takes minute and your voice will make all the difference.
Its important to be polite and respectful. The power and impact of your call diminishes greatly with disrespectful behaviour.
Quick Facts to Support your Call:
- The offshore industry directly employs more than 6,500 people (and thousands more indirectly).
- Supports more than 600 supply/service companies.
- Cumulative expenditures by the producing sector in Atlantic Canada from 1997 to 2017 total more than $66.8 billion.
- Cumulative royalties paid to the Governments of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador from 1997 to 2017 total more than $23.3 billion.
- More than $506 million spent on research and development, and education and training.